Effective Date: May 25, 2018
- Information Canary Collects
- How Canary Uses Your Information
- Choices You Have to Limit Information Collection
- How Canary Shares Your Information
- Controlling Your Information
- Marketing, Advertising, and Analytics
- Email & SMS Communications
- Security of Your Information
- Other Rights & Important Notices
- Contact Us
If you are a resident of the US or Canada, these terms are an agreement between you and Canary Connect, Inc. Otherwise, these terms are an agreement between you and Canary Technology Europe, Limited. In these terms, references to "Canary" "us", "we" and "our" mean either Canary Connect, Inc. or Canary Technology Europe Limited, as appropriate.
By visiting the Site or using our Products you agree that your personal information will be handled as described in this Policy. Any additional terms, conditions, or policies referenced or available by hyperlink at https://www.canary.is/legal are incorporated by reference into this Policy.
2. Information Canary Collects
We collect the following personal and device information when visiting our Site or using our Product:
- Information you provide during device setup, such as your name, email address, phone number, the location of each device, and the number of people in your home.
- Information necessary to complete a purchase from our Site, including your name, billing and shipping address, credit card information, and other information necessary to complete your transaction, as well as any other information that you choose to provide to us when making a purchase.
- If you are invited to create an account from the owner of a Canary product we will collect your name and email address from the Canary user that invited you. Your phone number and other account details will be obtained directly from you during the setup process, provided that you accept the invitation.
- Unique identifiers such as your user name and password.
- Audio and video is collected through the device. Audio and video data is stored securely on our servers to ensure you can access it and playback footage.
- Environmental data from Canary’s sensors, such as air quality, humidity, temperature, and ambient light.
- Device Information, such as model and serial number, the Canary’s network information (including IP address), device activity logs, and historic and current device configuration.
- Information about your mobile device such as your mobile device ID (which is similar to a website IP address), device type, operating system, and mobile service carrier as well as your location if you activate automatic mode switching.
3. How Canary Uses Your Information
We collect the information identified above and use it for the following purposes:
- Provide you user services and improve the Canary Product functionality and user experience.
- To fulfill orders and process payments for the sale of Products or Services from our Site.
- Administer your account and back-up your data.
- Record log entries for your information and troubleshooting issues with your device.
- Send you notifications through the Canary app. You can manage your
- Send you marketing communications, where permitted by applicable law.
- To conduct research and analysis to better understand how users access and use our Site and Products, both on an aggregated and individualized basis, in order to improve our Site, our Products, create new features, provide you new offerings, respond to user preferences, and to protect your data.
- Respond to your questions and concerns and provide customer support.
4. Choices You Have to Limit Information Collection
Some features of our app use location-based data. If you allow these services, we will use information about the Wi-Fi routers and cell IDs of the towers closest to you. We use this information to facilitate the device’s automatic mode switching, for customer support related to our Products, and to provide you with local emergency service contact information. You may disable location services within your phone’s settings menu.
Video & Audio
You may configure your Canary device from within the mobile application to capture video and audio of your location within the camera’s range and provide you with notifications. You can set your Canary device to different modes from within the mobile app menu. Each mode determines when Canary records audio and video and when you receive notifications and can be customized depending on your settings. You should inform guests of any recording if the camera is on while others are in your home.
You may enable privacy mode or disable recording from within the app menu to prevent the recording of video and audio through the device. In privacy mode, the watch live video feature and event notifications are disabled and the camera and microphone are turned off. Your device will continue to monitor environmental activity in privacy mode so we may provide you with aggregated HomeHealth information. LED lights on the bottom of the device will be turned off to indicate the device is in privacy mode.
5. How Canary Shares Your Information
We will share certain categories of your information with third parties only in certain circumstances as described below:
Personally Identifiable Information (PII) is information that contains data that could be used to directly or indirectly identify you, like your name or email address. We only share this information under extremely limited circumstances. Primarily, this information is shared with third parties to provide you necessary Services or to operate your Canary device. For example, this information is shared on a limited basis to assist in managing the computers that store your personal and device information and to third parties that assist us in providing you with customer support. These third parties are authorized to use your personal information only as necessary to provide these services to us.
Specifically, we may share this information as follows:
- Affiliates. We may disclose the information we collect from you to our affiliates and subsidiaries that provide services or conduct data processing on our behalf, or for data centralization and / or logistics purposes. If we do so, their use and disclosure of your personal information will be subject to this Policy.
- Service Providers. We may disclose the information we collect from you to third party vendors, service providers, contractors or agents who perform functions on our behalf (e.g., with vendors that help us with delivering products to you, vendors that help us maintain our Site, or analytics providers).
- Business Transfers. If we are acquired by or merged with another company, or if substantially all of our assets are transferred to another company, we may transfer the information we have collected from you to the other company.
- In Response to Legal Process. We also may disclose the information we collect from you in order to comply with the law, a judicial proceeding, court order, or other legal process, such as in response to a court order or a subpoena. To the extent legally allowed, we will notify you of such requests prior to disclosing any information sought.
- To Protect Us and Others. We also may disclose the information we collect from you where we believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the safety of any person, violations of our Terms of Service or this Policy.
We may share your aggregated and de-identified information, which is anonymized and does not identify you. We may use this information in a variety of ways, including to publish trends about energy use or home security, and to generally improve our offerings. We may also share this anonymized information with third parties for marketing, advertising, research, or similar purposes.
Information We Share With Your Consent
We may share personally identifiable information with third parties provided we receive your consent to share that information. For example, you may opt to share certain information so it can be posted on your social media accounts like Facebook or Twitter, you may link your Canary account with another app or Service, or you may opt into providing information to Canary’s business partners to receive special offers. Information will never be shared for these purposes without your consent. We never share your audio or video information with any third party for business or marketing purposes.
Information Obtained from Third Parties
If you provide personal information about others or if others provide us your information, we will only use that information for the specific reason for which it was provided to us.
6. Controlling Your Information
You have the ability to view, change, or correct your personal information through your settings within the Canary app.
We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide services to you. If you wish to cancel your account or request that we no longer use your information to provide services to you, contact us at email@example.com. We also retain log files for internal analysis purposes. These log files are generally retained for a brief period of time, except in cases where they are used for site safety and security, to improve site functionality, or we are legally obligated to retain them for longer time periods.
7. Marketing, Advertising, and Analytics
Cookies, Tracking and Ads
We may automatically collect information about your use of our Site or Services through cookies, web beacons, and other technologies, such as your domain name; your browser type and operating system; web pages you visit; links you click; your IP address; the length of time you visit our Site and or use our services; and the referring URL, or the webpage that led you to our Site.
We may use technologies to understand how many household members access your Canary device(s) at your location or access features within the app. We use this aggregated information to understand and optimize how Canary devices and the app are used and to provide content and features that are of interest to you. Please refer to our Ads & Cookie Statement for more information about your choices around cookies and related technologies and third party advertising.
8. Email & SMS Communications
You may choose to submit your email address through a submission form located on our Site to sign up for communications from Canary. You may also provide your mobile phone number to Canary in connection with account registration or otherwise. The email address and mobile phone number associated with your account may also be used, in accordance with applicable law, to send you news about Canary, such as new features or marketing promotions, account updates, promotional offers, and information regarding Membership and other premium services. We may use one or more service providers to administer these messages. Canary does not share your email address or phone number with spammers or any other non-affiliated third parties for their own marketing purposes without your permission. You may opt out of receiving newsletter or marketing communications from us by following the unsubscribe instructions or by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
9. Security of Your Information
The security of your personal information is important to us. We follow generally accepted industry standards to protect the information transmitted to us, both during transmission and upon receipt. No method of transmission or electronic storage is 100% secure. Therefore, we cannot guarantee its absolute security. If you have any questions about the security of our Products can contact us at email@example.com.
10. Other Rights & Important Notices
Our Site and Products do not knowingly collect or store any personal information about children under the age of 16.
Our business operations and the technical infrastructure that processes collected data to deliver Services to you are hosted in the United States. If you are accessing or using Canary Services in the European Union or other regions with laws governing data collection and use that may differ from US law, then please note that your personal information will be transferred to the United States and you consent to such transfer.
Additional Information for EU Residents
If you are using the Services from the European Union, we will only transfer your personal information to the United States through the use of appropriate safeguards such as standard contractual clauses adopted by the European Commission, the E.U.-U.S. Privacy Shield (in connection with transfers to our Privacy Shield-certified third-party vendors), or with your consent. If the transfer of your Personal Information or processing of your Personal Information is based on your consent, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to withdraw your consent. If you withdraw your consent, we will not be able to provide you with access to the Services.
We process personal data as necessary to pursue our legitimate interest of providing the Canary Services to our Users, to communicate with our Users, send our Users information about our products and services and to fulfill our contractual commitments to our Users. You have certain rights with respect to your information, such as: (i) data access and portability (including the right to obtain a copy of your personal data you provided to Canary, via your settings); (ii) data correction (including the ability to update your personal information, in most cases via settings or where not possible through the settings, by contacting us); (iii) data deletion (including the right to have Canary delete your personal information, except information we are required to retain, by contacting us); and (iv) withdrawal of consent or objection to processing (including, in limited circumstances, the right to ask Canary to stop processing your personal data, with some exceptions, by contacting us). You have the right to log a complaint with a data protection authority.
Your California Privacy Rights
California law permits residents of California to request certain details about how their information is shared with third parties for direct marketing purposes. Canary does not share your personally identifiable information with third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes unless you provide us with consent to do so.
Do Not Track
Canary does not support Do Not Track at this time. Do Not Track is a privacy preference that you can set in your web browser to indicate that you do not want certain information about your webpage visits collected across websites when you have not interacted with that service on the page. For all the details, including how to turn on Do Not Track, visit www.donottrack.us.
We may update this privacy statement to reflect changes to our information practices or changes to our services. If we make any material changes, we will notify you by email (sent to the email address specified in your account), through a push-notification, or by means of a notice in the app prior to the change becoming effective. We encourage you to periodically review this statement for the latest information on our privacy practices.
11. Contact Us
If you reside in the US or Canada:
Canary Connect, Inc.
222 Broadway Fl. 19
New York, NY, 10038
If you do not reside in the US or Canada:
Canary Technology Europe, Limited
Digital Depot, Roe Lane
Dublin 8, Ireland